Thursday, March 29, 2007

SCIfest: The Vagaries of Reporting Science

Nothing completley erratic or unpredictable happened during the reporting for SCIfest. I think this is because Melissa and I didn't go into with a solid plan of action. We almost took things as they came so in this sense we were prepared for anything.

Before we actually went out and started reporting, I was a little apprehensive about doing science related stories as I left all things scientific back in Matric. But I found that there was nothing to be worried and that I'm not a complete dunce as I understood all the lectures. The DNA workshop felt like I was back in Gr 11 biology and I surprised myself how of much I actually remembered.

Things that happened during the course of reporting that were not according to plan mostly occurred with the technical side. The mp3 recorders can be very temperamental. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes you get perfect sound, sometimes you get fuzz. I was not the problem, it was the machine! Also Melissa and I are clearly in the beginning phases of Parkinson's Disease because we both seem to be incapable of taking pictures that are not blurred. For the Junk Toys story we had to go twice to the lecture because we didn't have a single clear picture from the first time round.

Otherwise I felt everything went pretty smoothly. Other than saying last friday "oh we'll be in the labs till like 9.30pm latest" come 2am and we were still slogging at it. Reporting for Science is no different than reporting for anything else. You have to make sure that you understand what your story is ulimately about and then try relate it to a local context.

No comments: