Tuesday, August 7, 2007

not my kind of community

I decided to google my name the other day and to my surprise the search resulted in hayley vos-nalle coming up tops which bummed me out because I wanted to be the top hayley vos. So anyway this hayley vos-nalle is somebody who belongs to AVEN which stands for asexual visibility and education network. Definitely not me.

So Aven is a virtual community (just a regular forum) of asexual people. According to the site “The Asexual Visibility and Education Network is devoted to creating dialogue among and about the rapidly emerging group of individuals who identify as asexual.”

So if you are asexual then you know there is a site for you out there where you can interact with like-minded people.

So since I would never join this virtual community, I decided to look up some other virtual communities that I would never join but might appeal to other people. So here goes my top 5 never ever will I join this virtual community.

Number 5: The Vegan Virtual Supper Club onflickr. Not that I have anything personal against vegan’s, I just think that it is probably disgusting. I like my meat and I like my cheese.

Number 4: Blogs on Alien Abduction and UFOs, the Paranormal, and Collective Psychic Impressions on Alien Abduction Experience and Research. Right…

Number 3: Anafriends. The pro-anorexic site that encourages girls that anorexia is all good. Ano’s alike can communicate in chat rooms and on forums. And with quotes on the page saying “the best thing about a donut is the whole in the middle” you have to wonder about people out there. Like I said before, I like my meat and I like my cheese.

Number 2: Loving ferrets. The online community that is dedicated to expressing one’s love and weird obsession to ferrets. Animals aren’t really my thing, especially ferrets.

And finally….

Number 1. The Tyra Banks show website. Ok this isn’t exactly the definition of a virtual community but people visitors of the site have the opportunity to comment on Tyra’s blog posts. Never would I ever commit myself to this. Her show….her forehead, I just couldn’t.

2 comments:

Galen Schultz said...

There’s not a snowballs’ chance in hell that I would join any of these communities either. I was just wondering how healthy is it to have a pro-anorexia forum? Is there at least a space for people with more common-sense to intervene and argue against such ‘satisfied’ anorexic bloggers?

MEG said...

Well done - another great,, witty, sarcastic, Hayley post! some of these virtual communities are so strange - and dangerous - I was just wondering if you think the Internet has exacerbated these dangerous communities like the pro-anorexia site? Most of them are harmless, but there is a need to look at the effects of these dangerous forums on Internet users...